Thursday 28 April 2016

Pom pom Sheep at Hollings Mill, Bradford

The pompom sheep made by Robin Hood Primary School has gone to stay permanently at Hollings Mill in Bradford.  It is placed in the Reception area where visitors to the mill will be able to see it.

 I am so pleased that Mark Hill has agreed to display the sheep as so much of the wool was donated by his mill for the project and also for the pompom owls which are on permanent display at Lotherton Hall in the Education Rooms in the Bird Garden.

When delivering the sheep Mark showed me the working side to the mill. That day they were preparing wool to be sent to Denmark.  I saw many of the processes the wool goes through, such as washing, drying, relaxing, winding into balls and packing.  It was fascinating to see!

I was lucky enough to see their sock machine in action.  The mill is home to “The Bradford Sock Company” and I could see how the socks are made.  It is not just wool, but silk and alpaca that are used too and Mark’s knowledge of the yarns is truly incredible.


I so enjoyed my visit and know the pompom sheep will have a great home there.   









7 comments: